One nice side effect of using vcsh was developing more complex scripts to help me do things. I didn’t have to worry a script or tool would get lost when a machine inevitibly died.
However before writing a script, sometimes it’s not a bad idea to check and see if someone else already has. Lately many of those that I’ve found have been in Go.
Originally I did these with update but it made update take a long time to run and sometimes with die if a rarely used Go util was broken.
A while back I switched to vcsh. I’ve written a few articles on using it but since then I’ve migrated machines a number of times.
The big issue I’ve found is having to manually install software on each machine. There are things my scripts depend on and things I just expect to have and manually creating them each time is annoying.
So the solution obviously is a script. It’s actually used all the time as I might create new dependencies or find new tools I need so I’d want that installed on all machines.
So now ephemeral was working on my current tweets, but not handling the “historical” ones which twitter deems to be the ones older than the 3,200 most recent.
There are APIs that you can use to access those, but they require a paid license. So instead I went into my settings in twitter and requested an archive of my tweets. This takes a number of hours but eventually you get a download link and a while after using that you end up with a huge zip file.
I’ve set up Vicky Lai’s ephemeral to make my tweets, well, ephemeral. But if you follow her README you’ll see the initial config is all manual. I’d rather have that be scripted so I can more easily replicate it in the future.
So I wrote a script to create the AWS lambda instance. The prerequisites for this are covered in Vicky’s README but you’ll also need the aws cli, a go install and I find it’s also useful to use named profiles.
tl;dr my year in vim
Gource is a neat tool for visualising the history of a of a software project. In a way it’s kind of a fun combination of this scene Jurassic Park and version control.
Reading up on it I learned it could also visualise multiple repositories so I decided it would be kind of fun to do just that. I use vcsh to manage my home directory, pass to manage passwords, Hugo for my website and slack for managing my personal servers.
Work had a bake off thingy and I managed to come in second. The winner did bread pudding that included whisky - this was a reminder that just like in writing you need to know your audience! The cookbook for my selection of cookies is based off my Thanksgiving cookbook template.
A few years back I linked a number of drabbles and twabbles I had written. So a new one for the holiday season and the relaunch of the Drabblecast:
“All the reindeer finally loved him. They all shouted with glee. Rudolph grinned at them all. He released his tentacles.”
Also in writing this I reread the old contributions and realised “Different” would be better if I changed just one word (see if you can spot it):
I had this idea I would start doing more regular blog posts last year but that seems to have failed. Maybe next year!
I had help with this year’s troff adventures so thanks to Catherine for this year’s 2018 cookbook. There are some recipe errata I need to do - but those are all mine. Essentially I winged (sorry) the turkey burritos on the day and what I actually did vs what I vaguely considered doing early Saturday morning did not line up.
Another adventure with troff generated a menu. By all reports people had a good time. I was a bit more adventurous this year and did biscuits - a variation on Allen’s. This meant I had to cook one dish 10 minutes before dinner so timing of everything else became a bit more strict.
It worked however and people liked them. The rice cooker and the slow cookers really did make the timing issue less stressful this time.
Following up on the cube root trick post, I wrote a version that speaks the number in Chrome. It’s an experimental API and I doubt I’m choosing the voice very well. But it does train how to do the trick better than reading the cubed number on screen.
On browsers that don’t support this API it degrades down to the way the previous version worked.
I also updated the old tool to take input once the second number is typed in - with that I got down to a sustained 3.
After reading how to get cube roots in your head in a particular set of circumstances I learned the trick while stuck in traffic. But it then says you have to practice a lot so I wrote a tool in C to do that. But then I realised a web version might be a bit more accessible to people so here’s one.
Made the trainer work nicer on mobiles thanks to [Kae]’s suggestion.